Monday, September 27, 2010

The IT guy strikes back!

  So, the "intentionally terrible" guy was at my school this morning, and not happy about it.  When I asked him a question, he condescendingly reproached me.  "Can't you tell I am busy?," he snarled.  I retreated, hoping that he finally was.
  The good news is that he loaded the necessary software into our notebooks today. This also means I was not being stupid last week when I couldn't get to the gallery toolbar that was being mockingly shown to me in every smartboard tutorial I saw. Wish I'd realized it was missing BEFORE I spent 45 minutes getting worked up about it! Then again, perhaps that's why my principal demanded he be there today.  No one likes to see an angry granny in action! Not more than once anyway...
  What is sad is that we have had two smartboards in our school for over two years and none of used them as more than nifty hi-tech projectors.  We didn't even realize they were missing this vital software, until now!  What were we waiting for?  These things are going to be obsolete in a few years, at the rate technology is advancing.  We absolutely have to work harder to keep up with what is out there to help us educate these digital natives before they become even more restless. (Pun intended).  At the same time, our education leaders/principals must recognize the need for their teachers to have more time at work to learn how to use them and to incorporate these tools effectively into their instructional units.
   Speaking of which,  I have to attend a meeting during my planning periods tomorrow, and then go to my class after school.  That means I have to wait until Wednesday afternoon to start working the elusive gallery toolbar.  Can't wait, though!  Wish me luck! Peace out!         

No comments:

Post a Comment